I recently came across a giving opportunity that is geared very specifically toward children. Children giving to children, possibly with their own money, in a way that allows for a lot of personal connection and hands-on involvement. A lot more "real" to them than tossing a dollar in the plate as it goes by. This program I found is called Operation Christmas Child. Here's a blurb about it so you can be excited too.In short, kids put together a box of small gifts and hygiene supplies for a child in an impoverished area of the world. I am thinking I'll let Luke pick the items out himself. They add to the box a letter to the child, and possibly a picture of themselves. The child who receives the box will also receive a book about Jesus and a chance to attend a discipleship class if they want, where they will get a New Testament Bible when they finish.
This project has a special appeal to children. Now that I am a mom, I see more clearly the importance of widening my children's eyes to God's world around them and instilling a desire and love for giving and sharing what they have. I think this is a good hands-on giving experience that reaches outside of their normal, local lives. I think it will make them more aware of the children God loves who live all around the world, and how we are called to share the Gospel with them.Our playgroup is hosting a party to watch a video of Operation Christmas Child in action and write our letters and pack our boxes. If you like this idea as much as I do, check out the link below. The deadline to turn in boxes to a local drop-off station is the week of November 15th. Here is the link with lots of good info including how to pack a box:
http://www.samaritanspurse.org/index.php/occ/
Luke is saving his money!
No comments:
Post a Comment