Sunday, January 1, 2012
Pinnacle
Other mothers will know what I mean when I talk about looking back over my children's babyhood and remembering those few moments where you believe it was the pinnacle of difficulty. A night with little to no sleep, a disaster outing, etc. This morning, I believe, we hit a pinnacle with Baby Titus. At least one of them.
We are at the six-week-from-the-due-date mark, which is the peak of fussiness in almost all babies. We had a rough night of sleep last night so I was zonked and probably more on edge than I realized. After Bible class, Titus started the screaming routine he's been stuck in the last few days. We can't seem to get him decent sleep and he's tired. I am trying to help Jarud round up the boys, check out their Bible class crafts they're so proud of, and get into worship service with the screaming baby in my ear. Everyone has a comment, most of them sympathetic for Titus and for me. A couple of guys, trying to be funny, said, "Hey- can you make that baby quit crying?!?" and then "Abbie- what did you do to that poor baby??" Well, all very funny if you have had decent sleep sometime in the last millennium and weren't stressed to the max about the fifty million kids it seems you have all of a sudden. (I also tend to exaggerate when I'm tired) Well, I start to cry, give up helping Jarud and head to the nursery where I can attempt to rock Titus to sleep. As I head that direction my skirt slips completely off my waist and lands down around my ankles! Not kidding. (I later realized it was a maternity skirt! Oops!) So I grab my skirt, my screaming baby and what's left of my pride, and head to the nearest closed door to remedy all of those problems.
Through all of this, I am happy to say, I had a slight positive feeling of consolation! Do you know what it was? It was you, my friend! I kept thinking to myself: oh well, it will make a great story later and I'll blog about it. So THANK YOU for reading! YOU are my consolation in those terrible Pinnacle Moments. In return, I hope that when the skirt of life is around your ankles that I will be a source of encouragement to you as well. Wishing you a Pinnacle-free day!
P.S. Know that once I was in the nursery sweet Titus rewarded me with a long, peaceful nap, and I tucked my skirt severely into my hose! All was well with the world again.
We are at the six-week-from-the-due-date mark, which is the peak of fussiness in almost all babies. We had a rough night of sleep last night so I was zonked and probably more on edge than I realized. After Bible class, Titus started the screaming routine he's been stuck in the last few days. We can't seem to get him decent sleep and he's tired. I am trying to help Jarud round up the boys, check out their Bible class crafts they're so proud of, and get into worship service with the screaming baby in my ear. Everyone has a comment, most of them sympathetic for Titus and for me. A couple of guys, trying to be funny, said, "Hey- can you make that baby quit crying?!?" and then "Abbie- what did you do to that poor baby??" Well, all very funny if you have had decent sleep sometime in the last millennium and weren't stressed to the max about the fifty million kids it seems you have all of a sudden. (I also tend to exaggerate when I'm tired) Well, I start to cry, give up helping Jarud and head to the nursery where I can attempt to rock Titus to sleep. As I head that direction my skirt slips completely off my waist and lands down around my ankles! Not kidding. (I later realized it was a maternity skirt! Oops!) So I grab my skirt, my screaming baby and what's left of my pride, and head to the nearest closed door to remedy all of those problems.
Through all of this, I am happy to say, I had a slight positive feeling of consolation! Do you know what it was? It was you, my friend! I kept thinking to myself: oh well, it will make a great story later and I'll blog about it. So THANK YOU for reading! YOU are my consolation in those terrible Pinnacle Moments. In return, I hope that when the skirt of life is around your ankles that I will be a source of encouragement to you as well. Wishing you a Pinnacle-free day!
P.S. Know that once I was in the nursery sweet Titus rewarded me with a long, peaceful nap, and I tucked my skirt severely into my hose! All was well with the world again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Wow... That's all I have to say. Wow. Fun things to look forward too. :) You realize when I'm about to lose my mind when I have kids, I will be calling you frequently. :)
Oh Abbie, I am so sorry. I totally understand...things definitely get crazy!
Oh, friend! I hope you got a good nap, bubble bath, comfort food, etc after that! Jenna overheard me telling Kevin and said, "That happened at church? I didn't see it." : )
I take great pleasure out of reading your blog. You made me laugh this morning BEFORE I had sipped my coffee. And that's saying something!We adore you and yours, and wish we saw you more often!!
Oh, Abbie. I feel so guilty to be laughing right now, but that story is priceless! Definitely one to tell years from now. Thanks for your transparency. I thought things like that only happened to me. When I have my "pinnacle moments" after #3 arrives, I will be able to rest in the knowledge that I am not alone!!! Dear friend, hope the days have gone better since. :-)
Post a Comment