Friday, September 12, 2008

Six Things That Define Abbie for Me

When you have lived with someone for over 8 years, you get to know that person pretty well. The following is a list of things that define Abbie for me.

1. I love my conversations with Abbie. Although they tend to be one sided, it is quite an experience. Abbie loves to ask a question, then redefine the question, and answer it all within about 7 seconds. It is an impressive event to behold. :) All kidding aside, Abbie is the sort of person that loves to engage you on your opinions. Even though she usually whoops me in a debate, I like the fact that she is comfortable enough to ruffle my feathers in a direct yet gentle way.

2. I enjoy watching Abbie mothering Luke. She is patient, kind, loving, firm, and playful with him and he loves her for it. Even when he is stubborn and pushing boundaries, Abbie will always praise him once he has made the right choice to listen and obey. Being a parent is both challenging and joyful. I have a great appreciation for all of the hard work that mothers put in raising our children. Great job Abbie!

3. Although Abbie thinks that her typing out phrases while holding my hand drives me crazy, I really think it is one of many things that define her. The first time I felt it, I thought she was squeezing my hand or trying to tickle my hand. When I looked at her and then down at her hand, she realized what she had been doing and seemed a little bit embarrassed. I remember her saying something like, "It's just a strange habit of mine. I type out phrases of what people are saying or what I'm thinking. Do you think it's weird?" I really think it's funny. We all have little quirky habits but this is not one that I ever expected to come across. But if Abbie didn't do that, it would only be holding hands and that's just a little boring isn't it. :)

4. Abbie is fun to be around. She is very lively and is always wanting to kick start a conversation. One of those ways is to ask off the wall questions of her friends and family. The one that always comes up is "If you were a color, what color would you be?" Or "what color best describes you?" I always act like I don't like these types of questions or think they are silly, but it is fun to see how people react and it is just one more thing that I appreciate about Abbie.

5. I love how Abbie gets really excited about little things. There are so many examples but a few are candles (apple cinnamon), a roaring fire, glittery cards, stationary, plants and flowers, music, buying things for Luke, etc. It is fun to surprise her with some of these things but the best part is her reaction.

6. There are so many other things that I could put on this list but the last one is a little personal. Abbie likes to sing me a little song once in a while that is only my song. And no, you will never hear it. :)

2 comments:

Abbie said...

:)

Jeff and Amy McKissick said...

Abbie....I miss you. You always were a breath of fresh air!