Friday, August 19, 2011

Stuff to Do

I have been feeling like a mundane mom lately and have been wishing for some creative ideas of things to do with my kids. Well, things to do at home that are free, that is. I think they get tired of me dragging them all over town. Anyway, I made a list of stuff and cut it up and put it in a jar of ideas for the boys to pick from. My mom used to call it an "I'm Bored Jar" and you can guess when we used it. Although I think hers had chores and stuff in it too, ha ha. I think the idea was to get us to quit griping about being bored. Anyway, here is a list of the things in our jar in case you and your kids are ever bored and don't want to mess with writing down a list.

cut out pictures from magazines
pick a puzzle to do with mom
make popsicles
paint a picture
cut pieces out of felt
dance party
play car dealership
cook or bake with mom
"homework" (letter etc. practice)
go for a walk
play in the water/ pool outside
preschool-type activities (thank you, Nicole!!)
read from your long story book with mom
check the mail
paint a car (a kit we have)
color a printed dinosaur page
Chutes and Ladders
take Copper for a walk
have a picnic snack
build a tent out of chairs and blankets
sidewalk chalk
play knights and dragons
Candyland
dig dinosaur bones (a kit we have)
Go Spidey (Spider Man go fish)
pincers and small items (long story)
water squirt bottles outside
floor puzzle
glow sticks in the dark
build a tape city for cars
bubbles outside
set up one of the race tracks
play at the bottom of the hill (side of our house)
bunk bed tent with flashlights
hunt for nature items to add to your collection
graph with Yahtzee dice
alien guns fight with mom
play in the sandbox
Othello with mom
bunkbed tent movie with popcorn
loaders and diggers with barley
play-doh
Memory game with Mom

We would LOVE some additions to our list. We usually pick at least one a day, so this list won't last us that long. Any helpful ideas?

4 comments:

KQ said...

Cool idea! I don't have anything specific to add but if you don't already read Cindy Colley's blog here is the link http://cindycolley.blogspot.com/.

She has lots of cool ideas for raising service-oriented kids.

Abbie said...

Ah great idea!! I have nothing like that on this list.

Martha said...

Great idea! I'm going to have to steal it. By the way, I noticed that you didn't have "play beauty shop" or "put your doll to bed" on the list. Ha, ha!

Nicole said...

I am so stealing this idea.

Write, address, and stamp a letter to someone (someone in your house is fun, because then it comes back and they can see it again).
Use a stapler.
Use a hole punch (magazine pages are the easiest to punch through.
I'll write more ideas as I think of them. :)