Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Perspective

Funny how many things have changed with my third baby. I remember feeling so exhausted with Luke. (my first) I remember thinking, "if he doesn't go to sleep soon I'm going to lose my mind," and "he has got to stop fussing so I can put him down and do such and such!"

With my Titus I have a different perspective. I have seen how fast those chunky thighs grow long and lean, and the soft little baby cheeks disappear sooner than I'm ready for. It's easier to get up with Titus at night (and stay up sometimes!), and easier to sit and rock him when my to-do list is a mile long. It's easier to stay home and let him get his baby sleep instead of running that one desperately needed errand. It's also been easier now to stop and play a game of Candyland or do a Christmas craft with my older ones when I definitely don't have the time, or to read just ONE more book to my two and a half year old when I really need to be starting dinner.

I am grateful for this perspective. I am grateful for a third tiny baby. I am grateful for the chance to be at home with them all. I'm grateful for a husband who has the same priorities. And I am grateful that I found this perspective (finally!) before I'm done with tiny babies!

Please know that if you come over for a visit you will not find a spotless house by any means. But know that I will not regret it! My mom had this framed in her room when I was growing up:

Cleaning and scrubbing can wait til tomorrow,
For babies grow up we've learned to our sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs, dust go to sleep,
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep!

1 comment:

Martha said...

I sooooo needed to read this today! Those babies sure don't keep!